Did I find the answer to my ills tonight?

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all

--Emily Dickinson



Went for a 3 mile run tonight at 8PM. It has cooled off significantly from the 98 degree temps of the past three days. It was about 72 degrees when I left the house. I ran the first three miles of my "target" course, the Cascades 10K. I ran the (now) usual 8/2 pattern. Finished in 27:10. Felt pretty good. I did experience some pain (good ol' morton's neuroma) in my right foot as I was finishing.

I looked online tonight for non-surgical treatments for the neuromas. I've had cortisone injections into the nerves before, and they worked great for about 6 weeks, then the pain returned as if nothing ever happened. I do not want surgery as I've read too many examples of "nerve stumps" developing a mad myriad of problems. So, I'll forgo that as well.

I found an article where somebody mentioned "cryosurgery," which basically means they stick a tiny tube into the nerve and freeze it. I found a little better description online: "The procedure is performed under local anestehsia using a tiny incision that does not require stitches. A probe is used to freeze tissue in a 15 minute office procedure. Extreme freezing temperatures produce an anesthetic effect beyond the temporary relief produced by simple cooling. This procedure may be used as a primary treatment but is more commonly used after other conservative treatments have failed. "

I'm going to call Dr. Mark Katz of Alexandria, who performs this potential miracle, tomorrow...

No comments: