Training program

I found this online somewhere during a Google search. Can't remember the author, but in the 1960's he ran 13+ minutes for 3 miles on only 25 miles a week. He wrote an article with a sample training schedule for 10K runners (which I saved to a Word document, sans author's name):

· Tues: 10 mins warm-up, 10 x 45 secs uphill fast, 10 mins warm-down;
· Thurs: 6-mile run, including 3 x 8 mins fast, 2 mins jog (10k pace);
· Sat: 10 mins warm-up, 2 x 15 mins threshold pace (2 mins recovery);
· Sun: 8-10 mile run, starting slow, finishing faster.
· Total mileage 24-26

Mostly due to my Morton's Neuroma in both feet, which cause my feet to burn terrible after an hour or so of running, I needed to find a low mileage program. This seems to fit perfectly. I've run maybe a total of 100 miles in the last 10 years, and have put on quite a bit of weight. I'm 5'9" and 172 lbs. At my fastest, I was about 145 lbs. I plan on just building up to 25 miles a week "comfortably" for the next 6 months, then switch to the plan above, modified as to how I feel on any given day.

No comments: